Estonian Museum Association
Muuseumi tee 2, Tartu, tel 735 0412
The Põltsamaa Museum is situated between the walls of an ancient order castle. We introduce the heroic past of the Põltsamaa stronghold, town and parish. During the Livonian War it was the residence of the Livonian king and in the 18th century an enchanting Rococo castle, a thriving cultural and industrial centre. In Põltsamaa A. W. Hupel, the founder of our local lore studies, published the first magazine in the Estonian language entitled Lühhike Öppetus (A Short Introduction) (1766–67). It was here that Emilie Beermann, daughter of the local headmaster, sewed the first blue-black-and-white Estonian national flag in 1884.
Back to the list