Archive version
This is an archived version of webpage (2006–2017).

Estonian Museum Association

Muuseumi tee 2, Tartu, tel 735 0412


 In English / Museums / Estonian museums / Topical index

 Ahtri 2, 10151 Tallinn
 625 7000
 625 7003
 Wed–Fri 11–18, Sat–Sun 10–18

Museum of Estonian Architecture was opened on January 1, 1991 to record, preserve and introduce the history and evolution of Estonian architecture. Like most architectural museums in the world, Estonia Architectural Museum, too, is focused on the 20th century architecture. The museum is a member of ICAM – International Confederation of Architectural Museums. The museum started operating in temporary premises at Kooli Street 7 in Old Tallinn; the collections were kept in the medieval Loewenschede Tower. The museum was moved to Rotermann Salt Storage in 1996 and opened for the public on June 7, 1996.

Rotermann Salt Storage is one of the most imposing buildings in the so-called Rotermann quarter in Tallinn, completed in 1908 by the design of Baltic-German engineer Ernst Boustedt. The cellar of the then single-storey building accommodated a salt storage, while the imported salt was processed on the upper floor. The salt storage was renovated in 1995–1996 on the basis of a project by architect Ülo Peil and interior decorator Taso Mähar.

Back to the list