Estonian Museum Association
Muuseumi tee 2, Tartu, tel 735 0412
The Tartu City Museum is a research centre for the history of Tartu, and its aim is to supplement the object collection of town history and to interpret it through exhibitions, excursions, conferences and publications. The museum is located in an early classicist-style dwelling-house, which was built by Lieutenant Woldemar Conrad von Pistohlkors in 1790, and renovated for the museum in 2001. Concerts, receptions and youth events are often arranged in the magnificent Louis XVI-style hall.
The history of the oldest town in the Baltic States is introduced through the permanent exhibition Dorpat. Yuryev. Tartu. This exhibition is complemented by the expositions of the 19th-Century Tartu Citizen’s Home Museum, Oskar Luts Home Museum, Song Festival Museum and KGB Cells Museum.
Back to the list